Purgatory Penman

An Epistle of the Penitential

Name:

Like most people, my main desire is to be understood. Hopefully, this blog will enable me to completely explain who I really am as a person. I desire your communication. Write to me at: P.O. Box 40543, Memphis, TN 38174-0543

Thursday, November 30, 2006

BIRTHDAY PRESENCE

My younger brother Chipper was born just before our father died, a gift in the midst of tragedy. Chipper brought an innocent wonderment back into our family Christmases after the rough time we had gone through together. What we did for him out of love brings a smile to my heart even now.

When Chipper was a child, on Christmas Eve our plan began once he was asleep. Our older brother Lee and I would rush to drag the boxes of toys for Chip out of their hiding places to the den floor to be assembled. The brightly decorated Christmas tree, with blinking lights, filled one corner of the room. Shiny wrapped presents were piled underneath it and in every available space; the television blared music from a Christmas program; and a fire crackled in the fireplace--in total, a delightful sensory overload of colors, lights, sound, and emotion. "Santa's Helpers" placed the completed big toys around the tree for maximum effect in the morning when ecstatic squeals would awaken all of us.

The best part came next. Momma left her cooking and cleaning for a few minutes to accompany me. We crept into Chipper's room and gently roused him.

"Listen," I spoke into his ear. "I hear something outside!"

Lee ran around the house in the cold dark, shaking an old leather harness of sleigh bells and yelling, "Ho, ho, ho!" at the window.

Chipper's hands flew to his face. His countenance beamed with an infectious joy that lit up the room.

"It's Santa Claus!", he whispered excitedly.

"Don't let him see you!" (a traditional warning)

He quickly lay back down and shut his eyes real tight.

We snuggled together in the warm covers until Chipper fell asleep again. My brother, my mother, and I were satisfied and happy, vicarious participants in a little boy's dreams for another blessed Christmas. No wonder Jesus chose to come into this world as a child, making His birthday a gift that inspires and heals.


J. Wallace

2 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Wonderful story. The Christmas spirit lives on.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Tony Arnold said...

I am very behind in my blog reading. Just now catching up. It is the happy memories from the past that sustain us.

My prayes are with you and your family during this time of year.

Tony

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home