Purgatory Penman

An Epistle of the Penitential

Name:

Like most people, my main desire is to be understood. Hopefully, this blog will enable me to completely explain who I really am as a person. I desire your communication. Write to me at: P.O. Box 40543, Memphis, TN 38174-0543

Saturday, November 18, 2006

THE SINGING JESUS

An enduring image from some old Western movies is one of a Native American Indian, the "Noble Savage," as he is about to die--on his knees, hands raised, crying out a song of prayer and praise to the Great Spirit. The effect is to convey a sense of high moral character and dignity to a people often presented as primitives, but men who could, under great physical hardship, practice their faith in the very face of death.

I have heard sermons grapple with Jesus's cry on the cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?", causing confusion as to why He would ever utter such a thing, being fully aware of and committed to the purpose of His death for all mankind (Matt. 27:46, Mark 15:34). Jesus also, later, says as He dies, "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit," a demonstration of faith which serves as a final witness to a Roman centurian (Luke 23:46). It is well known that both statements are quoting the Psalms of the Old Testament (Psa. 22:1, 31:5).

It is also established that the Old Testament Psalms are poems of praise to God set to music--melodic prayers that the Jews sang in their synagogues. When Jesus referenced Psalms on the cross, could He have been once again and finally expressing His faith in the Father by quoting scripture and actually singing His prayers as the Jews did in their houses of worship? (This is a religious practice common to different faiths and peoples throughout the world.)

This interpretation, the "Singing Jesus," is an image of Christ's courage and grace that stays in my mind, a sense of majesty, artistic expression, and enobled Spirit as He suffered an agonizing death. I remember that many of the martyrs of our faith went to their deaths this same way, singing praises to our Father in Heaven--emulating Jesus on the cross--a powerful witness that affected those present and ensured that their sacrifices were recorded in the pages of human history for all time.

J. Wallace

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony Arnold said...

How we face evil and dire circumstances is indeed an outward example to the world of our faith...that is, do we really have one or not.

Tony

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home